U.S. Army
101st Airborne Division, 401st Glider Infantry Regiment
PFC Thor A. Youngberg
Killed In Action - June 11th 1944, Normandy
Buried at: Plot F, Row 15, Grave 37 Colleville-sur-Mer, France
Purple Heart Certificate, above photo.
This Purple Heart Medal certificate was given to the Next of Kin (NOK) of Private First Class Thor A
Youngberg, ASN 36625209 for the wounds resulting in his death in action June 11th 1944. The certificate
was issued August 15th 1944. PFC Youngberg was from Illinois.

In England, the training continued with exercises BEAVER, TIGER, and EAGLE in preparation for the
invasion of Europe. In exercise Tiger, the glidermen had a chance to train for their function in this new
capacity. In March 1944, the 401st was separated. The 1st Battalion would stay with the 101st Airborne
Division (AB) but would be sent to the 327th GIR as the 3rd battalion. The 2nd Battalion would go to the
82nd Airborne Division 325th GIR as the 3rd battalion. While the 1st Battalion of the 401st would
frequently serve with the 327th, its assignment for Normandy was to be part of Division reserve. It would
come in by sea with the 4th Infantry Division.

For the D-Day invasion, Operation Neptune, June 6th 1944, the 1-401st arrived on UTAH Beach with the
4th Infantry Division in the UNCLE RED sector. It was to link up with the paratroopers that landed earlier
that morning. On June 7th, the 401st fought several engagements in an effort to join Colonel Bob Sink's
506th march on St. Come-Du-Mont. It was during this time the unit suffered its first casualties.

2-401st Glider Infantry Regiment arrived in Normandy at 0900 and 0910 June 7th 1944, Serial 36 and 37,
Mission Hackensack, 439th and 441st Troop Carrier Group Landing Zone "W" Les Forges.
The morning of June 8th found the 401st spread out along the west bank of the Douve River. Company
C of the 1st Battalion, commanded by Captain Robert Galbraith, led the assault across the river after
dark followed by the rest of the 1st Battalion. Once the 1-401st was linked to 101st AB it would aid in the
capture of Ste. Come-du-Mont that evening and Carentan on June 15th after 5 days of bitter combat.