|Glider Qualification Badge, above two photos.
The Glider Qualification Badge was authorized in War Department Circular No. 220, 2 June 1944. Criteria for
the wear of the Glider Badge: Personnel must have been assigned or attached to a glider or airborne unit or
to the Airborne Department of the Infantry School; satisfactorily completed a course of instruction, or
participated in at least one combat glider landing into enemy-held territory.
The three Glider Badges shown above are all marked STERLING in raised letters on the reverse. Note: the
style and direction of the word STERLING varies slightly on all three badges. All three badges have a similar
style of pin for attachment to the uniform.
The Glider Badge on the top of the photo has one single bronze star attached to the center. This was an
unofficial marking done to symbolize a second landing into enemy held territory.
|TRAINING AND TROOP CARRIER GLIDER
|Life Magazine, September 7th 1942, introducing Glider Borne Troops in the new XCG-3A training glider, above left photo.
Flying Magazine Advertisement, June 1945, introducing the new Waco CG-15A Troop Carrier Glider, above right photo
|Certificate of Service, above photo.
This certificate was issued to Flight Officer Robert W. Rundle T-125141. F.O. Rundle served as a Glider Pilot (1026) in the
European Theatre during World War Two. His certificate of service indicates that he entered active duty on February 14th
1944 and was discharged on December 16th 1945 in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. He was awarded the European African Middle
Eastern (EAME) Campaign Medal for service in the Rhineland Campaign. In addition to being a Glider Pilot, F.O. Rundle also
attended Mine and Booby Trap School; Deadstick Glider Training Pittsburg, Kansas; Glider Mechanic School, Texas and
Advanced Glider Training, Lubbock, Texas.
|Officer's Glider Pilot Wings, machine embroidered on chocolate elastique fabric, front and reverse, above two photos.
|Glider Pilot Wings, machine embroidered on olive drab fabric, factory flawed, front and reverse, above two photos.
This set of wings was embroidered at the end of a bolt of fabric, as indicated by the blue denim band at the edge of the wings.
This would have been a factory flawed set of insignia and would not have been available for sale or issue.
|Glider Pilot Wings, machine embroidered on khaki cotton fabric, front and reverse, above two photos.
|Certificate of Service, above photo.
This certificate was issued to Flight Officer Robert W. Rundle T-125141 for honorable service in the United States Army from
February 14th 1944 to December 16th 1945.
This certificate was signed by Major Charles I. Summers, Air Corps during discharge while assigned to the 816th Army Air
Force Base Unit, Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
|The Allied Glider program was formed in 1942 after the very successful glider assault made by Germany on
May 10th 1940. On that day, eight German DFS 230 Gliders landed on the roof of the Fort Eben Emael in
Belgium. The German Glider Borne Engineers landed with complete surprise disabling the fort's guns and
trapping the Belgium garrison inside. One year later, the Germans made their largest airborne and glider
operation, the attack on Crete, May 20th 1941.
The American and British Glider program was formed in their wake in 1942. The first use of Allied gliders in
Europe was Operation Husky, the invasion of Sicily, July 9th 1943, which ended in disaster. Poor planning
and bad weather resulted in the gliders being scattered in the air with some landing in the sea. The second
major use of Allied Gliders was Operation Overlord, the invasion of Normandy France on June 6th 1944.
Better intelligence and planning resulted in the glider landings in Normandy being far more successful.
Later Operations would included: Operation Dragoon, Southern France, August 15th 1944; Operation Market
Garden, Holland, September 17th 1944; and finally Operation Varsity, the Rhine River Crossing in March 24th
The U.S. Army Glider Infantry School was closed in 1948 and remaining glider units were eventually
converted into parachute infantry.