|United States / Canada
Fairchild PT-26A "Cornell II" Primary Trainer Aircraft
A.A.F. Serial Number: PT-26A-FE 42-71104
Royal Canadian Air Force Serial Number: 14528
|History of PT-26A-FE 42-71104:
The Fairchild PT-26 was produced as Primary Trainer (PT, Model 26) aircraft that served with the United States Army Air
Forces, Royal Air Force and Royal Canadian Air Force during World War II. The aircraft was a cantilever low-wing monoplane
with fixed landing gear and tailwheel design, based on a two-place, tandem-seat, closed cockpit arrangement. The simple but
rugged construction included a fabric-covered welded steel tube fuselage.
PT-26A-FE 42-71104 was built under A.A.F. Contract Number: AC-30109, Contract Serial Number Range: 42-70957 to 42-71346
The PT-26A was produced from 1942-1943, with total production of 807 aircraft. The gross weight was 2,750 lbs., with a
wingspan of 35' 11", and a length of 27' 8". The aircraft used a 200HP Ranger L-440-7 Engine with a maximum speed 129 MPH.
The total cost of each aircraft was $13,443, which included the cost of the aircraft, engine, propeller, and radios. This Fairchild
PT-26A was produced under license by Fleet Aircraft, Ontario, Canada and was accepted by the R.C.A.F. on August 16th 1943.
|This PT-26A aircraft was produced under license by Fleet Aircraft of Canada with the United States Army Air Force designation
PT-26A-FE Serial Number 42-71104. After acceptance, it was transferred to Canada under the Defense Aid Program.
This aircraft was then re-designated and renamed "Cornell II" with the Royal Air Force (R.A.F.) as Serial Number FT689, and
Royal Canadian Air Force (R.C.A.F.) Serial Number 14528, which is what the aircraft would have had painted on the fuselage
sides and wings during her wartime service.
PT-26A "Cornell II" S/N 14528 was taken on strength by the R.C.A.F.'s No. 3 Training Command on August 20th 1943 and
assigned to No. 13 Elementary Flying Training School (E.F.T.S.), St Eugene, Ontario.
In August 1943, 26 brand new "Cornell II's" and a handful of "second-hand" Cornell I's were delivered to St Eugene, Ontario. In
September 1945, No. 13 E.F.T.S. moved to St. John / St Jean, P.Q.
This E.F.T.S. trained Fleet Air Arm pilots from Great Britain, Canada and New Zealand.
On July 20th 1944, PT-26A "Cornell II" S/N 14528 was assigned to No. 9 Repair Depot "For repairs and embody modified tail
oleos". On September 23rd 1944, modifications had been completed.
On June 21st 1946, PT-26A "Cornell II" S/N 14528 was recorded as transferred "Free Issue" to The Office, Foreign Liquidation
Commission, Bell Niagara Modification Center No. 7, Niagara Falls, N.Y.
The total recorded logged service hours were 1069.05 hrs.
|Restored PT-26A data plates, left and above two photos. The plate to left is the A.A.F. aircraft
acceptance plate. The two restored plates above, are Royal Canadian Air Force (R.C.A.F.)
|The PT-26A used a Ranger L-440-7 Engine, above photo.
The engine in the photo above is a Ranger L-440-1. The Ranger L-440-1 was used in the Fairchild PT-19, which was the
predecessor to the PT-26. The Ranger L-440-1 produced 25 HP less than the L-440-7. Externally the two engines appeared the
same. This engine will be used in the restoration of PT-26A-FE 42-71104.
|Ranger Aviation L-440-1 engine nomenclature plate, above photo.
This engine was produced and accepted on December 7th 1940, for an Army
Air Corps aircraft with the serial number 40-3403.
|PT-26A Pilot and Co-Pilot Instrument Panels, above two photos.
|PT-26A Starboard and Port cowling sections, above two photos.
|PT-26A Cowling support rails, above left photo. Top cowling, above right photo.
|PT-26A Front and Rear windscreen, above two photos.
|Royal Canadian Air Force (R.C.A.F.) groundcrew servicing a Fleet Aircraft "Cornell II" S/N 14662 aircraft of No. 19 Squadron